Monday, June 9, 2008

Vacation

I am on a mini-vacation and it is so nice. Mattea went with my mom and dad, along with Angi, Charlie, Lily and Lucy to Cedar Point. I have been looking forward to their trip since I would have 2.5 days for just me. It was a little touchy for awhile because dad almost backed out because of the weather. I love the man but have realized the older he gets the more worried he is about EVERYTHING! He didn't want to be responsible if the van was washed away by flood waters? OK it is great to be cautious but really. So my vacation has consisted of watching rented movies, I never rent movies, and doing absolutely nothing.

My friend recently posted on her blog about her frustration that we(Americans, people) are not doing enough to help out others. This has been weighing on my mind alot. I feel, and I know alot of my coworkers, feel that we are helping others and making a difference everyday. I work as a social worker for disadvantaged women who are expecting or have recently had children. Everyday we are faced with poverty and offer them support and resources. Some days are bad and I sit and think that this family I am helping has a way bigger tv then I have or better furniture then me and I do get discouraged, who wouldn't. But every once in awhile I know I have made a difference to someone and that it what keeps me going throught the monotony (oh, and the big bucks). My spare 3-4 hours a day are spent with my child since I am not able to stay home on a full-time basis ( I also think I would be bored out of my mind) so I do not give up my spare time, but I donate Mattea's old clothes and outgrown diapers to the families at work or to friends and try to always help out with food donations. I have never sold clothes to Once Upon a Child for money like I know other people have instead of donating it. I feel that my backyard is where I should focus my efforts because I drive by it all the time.

When Mattea is older she will go though her toys and clothes deciding on what to give to others. It may not be profound but it is what I can do for now and feel good doing it. My director at work always tells us that we save lives everyday. We chuckle about it but on some level, not always visible or literal, we do!

Yeah for mini vacations but I miss my sweet girl and can't wait for her to be home.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I agree with you on this one. I know exactly what poverty is, which is why I work so hard to help others in the same situation I was in. I also see the hard work you do and how generous you are. It's sad that some don't recognize it and would group us in with the "everyone who does nothing." Keep the faith, girl! P.S. "I'm glad you were born so you could grow up and work here!"